[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu May 31 16:27:24 EDT 2007

Michael:

>>> mgurst at vcn.bc.ca 5/31/2007 10:02:06 AM >>>
>"civil society"  in this context refers to those individuals, in
>some few instances representing groupings, with both the
>interest and the resources to pursue involvement in these
>discussions.

Same is true of the private sector. In spades. It's even true of
governments.

>perhaps most damaging of all, there appears to have been
>almost no attempt by "civil society" in this context to reach
>out to that larger group

Not true, lots of outreach takes place. It's expensive and
time-consuming by the way, and thus limited by how many resources you
have. But we have learned through direct experience that many people in
CS simply aren't going to be interested in these rather specialized
issues, for the time being.

The level of participation can change overnight when something happens
that catches people's attention.

So I reject the view that there is something deeply wrong with what we
(CS) are doing because not every single advocacy group, church group,
local radio station, college student group, telecentre, etc. in the
world is not on this list. If you understand political process, you
would know that getting people involved in something is far more complex
than inviting them.

In the history of movements you learn that the infrastructure for mass
participation is always built by a small dedicated group that labors in
the wilderness for years, sometimes decades, before anyone pays
attention. And you never know when they will suddenly pay attention.

So you'd better be ready.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org