[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu May 31 15:58:50 EDT 2007

I tend to feel rather uncomfortable with your formulation because it
doesn't seem to include people.

For example, your formulation excludes me.

As you know, I do not believe that any aggregation - whether we call it
a corporation, a government, a "stakeholder", an NGO, or "civil society"
- ought not to have automatic recognition as being anything more than a
convenient means for people to aggregate their individual opinions and
views.

It is always useful to hear the opinions expressed via these aggregates.
  And it is true that many, perhaps most, people will chose (usually
through inaction) to let some aggregate express an opinion on their behalf.

But when it comes down making choices and measuring "consensus" (or some
other more concrete measure), in other words when it comes to counting
noses, we ought to count real noses on real people and not some
hypothetical and arbitrary notion that these aggregations actually speak
with authority.

I see further risk in that this kind of creation of a "multi-stakeholder
system" will ossify very quickly into a kind of internet caste system.

Do we really want the governance of the internet to resemble a medieval
feudal society in which people have rank and authority based on what
groups they are in?

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org