[governance] What is done is done - A recommended course forward

Mr. Robert Guerra lists at privaterra.info
Thu May 31 10:17:48 EDT 2007

The bureau proposal was raised, by Francis Muget who is subscribed to
the list but not too active a participant.

Both Francis and I were members of the former WSIS Civil Society
Bureau (CSB). Francis was then, and still is now a strong believer in
the structure and the benefits it might bring. I , and many others on
this list, strongly disagree that such a structure would be
beneficial . It fact, for many of us, it would not recognize the
novel structure and evolution of IG discussions at the IGF.

My personal view is that a bureau is a construct that does replicate
well into the current IGF discussions. It would be a step backwards ,
at least for CS. Worse still, it might likely play into many govts
efforts to use key civil society players as pawns for their own agenda.

The rough consensus view for days, if not weeks proceeding the IGF
consultation made it quite clear that the caucus position was not
supportive of a bureau type structure. That position should of held.
Clearly it did not. This is most unfortunate. The lesson is clear, we
are not following well known  models of consultation, engagement and
policy development processes used in other IG related spaces such as
the ones  McTim mentions .

This caucus / list perhaps needs to revisit if in fact we are
following our so cherished bottom-up approach when we take positions
and/or make statements at key physical meetings.  What is done, is
done. As a recommended course forward might I suggest that key
positions and issues - be decided and discussed in advance of future
consultations. Positions identified as key and/or strategic would be
firm, and not subject to change during the physical meeting proper.

regards,

Robert
---
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>