[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

mgurst at vcn.bc.ca mgurst at vcn.bc.ca
Thu May 31 10:02:06 EDT 2007

At the risk of re-hashing old discussions and with thanks to Bertrand for
presenting the matter with typical clarity let me raise what I consider to
be crucial if not fatal caveats concerning at least one of the "common
sense" elements presented below.

As we all know the precise status and thus significance of the IGF and the
overall IG set of activities is still unclear (not fully formed etc.etc.)
That being said, issues such as representation, accountability,
inclusiveness and so on (r., a., i.) might arguably be deferred to future
consideration or as seems in the context here left to some (mystical?)
form of emergence, or as Bertrand suggests it doesn't matter because...the
group isn't making decisions rather it is facilitating processes towards
decisions  , and "formalizing zones of agreement among stakeholders" --
which I think takes us back up to the issue of categories of stakeholders,
n'est ce pas... i.e. those who are in a position to articulate and thus
form agreements around zones of agreement!

Anyway, a lot (and seemingly an increasing number) of serious people and
players are taking the IGF increasingly seriously so leaving issues such
as r., a., i. etc. to be worked out in the future is, to my mind at least,
not good enough.

And specifically let me refer to "common sense" item (3) below i.e.
"categories of actors" namely "governments, civil society and business
sector".  As with others I don't have a real problem with either the
government category (they know who they are and have no problem in
figuring out their internal issues of r., a. and i.); nor do I have a
problem (at this point) with the private sector although I can envisage
having problems with it in the future and certainly members of the private
sector will have increasing problems of their own with r., a., i. in the
future; rather my concern is with "civil society".

By presenting the world so neatly into the three categories one can
presume that "civil society" is meant to "represent" all of those who are
neither governments, nor the private sector.  In practice of course,
"civil society"  in this context refers to those individuals, in some few
instances representing groupings, with both the interest and the resources
to pursue involvement in these discussions. Precisely what links there
might be between this group and the rather larger group of those not (for
whatever reason) participating in these discussions (representation); nor
how this group responds to or identifies the interests of the larger group
(accountability) has to the best of my knowledge been articulated;  and
perhaps most damaging of all, there appears to have been almost no attempt
by "civil society" in this context to reach out to that larger group, even
those such as the ones that I am in touch with, the community ICT
activists and practitioners, who might have the greatest interest in
participation and the most to contribute to such discussions
(inclusiveness).

A counter to my set of observations is of course, that this discussion (as
with the Internet) is open to everyone to participate in, and this is
true; however, I would feel rather more comfortable overall if the concept
(and presentation) of "civil society" in this context were put in both
literal and operational quotation marks and if this group were to
recognize these issues as its responsibility (and to acknowledge that its
very legitimacy depends on visibly making efforts to respond).

That is, my immediate suggestion is that Bertrand (only summarizing what
he in my opinion, quite correctly identifies as the common sense position
of this group here) isn't quite so categorical with his categories; and
what is  presented as summation is in fact seen for what it is, as only
the beginning of the definition of the problem.

Best,

Mike Gurstein

     governance at lists.cpsr.org