[governance] Human Rights and IGF

Nyangkwe Agien Aaron nyangkweagien at gmail.com
Thu May 31 09:38:47 EDT 2007

Dear all

I can see Meryem chipping in some "new vission" in this debate with th
notion that Goods ans Services are not being considered considered as
fundamental elements of democracy
If democracy per se entails multiple choice and the right to choose or
get chosen, the multiplicity of goods and services provides the most
conducive arena for th exrcise of freedom of choice. Goods and
Services in that respect become fundamental elements of democracy in
that on has a variety in which to make a democratic choice. That is
where I stand.

As for Wolfgang's core and intriguing question of whether ignorance of
human rights can constitute trade barriers. I say yes because once you
neglect what actually is the désiderata of the other people, you
cannot trade with them. On this aspect, it is the knowledge of trade
legislations of different trading partners that can break the
barriers.

My answer to the question is YES

Aaron

On 5/31/07, William Drake <drake at hei.unige.ch> wrote:
> Wolfgang,
>
> The question can be answered too: no.
> http://www.wto.org/english/docs_e/legal_e/final_e.htm
>
> Best,
>
> Bill
>

> On 5/31/07 1:23 PM, "Kleinwächter, Wolfgang"
> <wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de> wrote:
>
> > With regard to Human Rights and Internet Governance: We had recently a
> > discussion, which included also Andrew McLaughlin from Google, to approach the
> > issue from a new perspective.
> >
> > Within the WTO Doha Round the ignorance of Intellectual Property Rights is
> > seen as a trade barrier. Countries which want to join the WTO have to
> > guarantee IPRs. The question could be raised whether the ignorance of Human
> > Rights can constitute also a trade barrier?
> >
> > Wolfgang

Aaron Agien Nyangkwe
Journalist/Outcome Mapper
Special Assistant To The President