[governance] bureau yes bureau no???

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Thu May 31 07:18:19 EDT 2007

>We were surprised that they thought
>>  that, and Adam made his statement subsequently in an effort to disabuse
>>  them
>>  of the notion, perhaps too forcefully for some.
>
>Bill
>
>To add to your description of events, after you brought the issue of the
>confusion in some gov members minds to my notice and I did clarify to the
>house that the bureau proposal was not an IGC proposal but that made by some
>civil society members on their own behalf or of their organization, and that
>IGC had no position on this proposal. And that we have not talked about it
>internally. I understand that there is some difference of views if this last
>part on 'we haven't talked about it' is correct.
>
>In my view there were a couple of bureau proposals (Francis, brazil)

Yes, but what you said was

"I was told by my colleagues that some civil society members here
proposed a bureau structure for the IGF, and some government
delegates were inquiring whether that is the official position of the
Internet governance caucus."

Nothing to do with Brazil's comments.  And Francis seems to
disassociated himself the caucus (Louis of course is a
participant/member.)

Whatever. Sitting in the room it sounded like you had dodged the
question as you yourself phrased it, particularly as it came at the
end of a long statement where you began with comments from the
caucus, then added observations of your own, and then back to a
non-committal comment about a bureau.

Answering the question as you phrased it, is a bureau structure
proposal the "official position of the Internet governance caucus".
The answer is obviously No.

But it's fine.  They got the message.

Thanks,

Adam