[governance] bureau yes bureau no??? ... Nomenclature vs functionality

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri May 25 18:27:04 EDT 2007

>  >>> avri at psg.com 5/25/2007 2:34 AM >>>
>>What I am really looking for, other then a good consensus
>>position for this caucus, is a MAG that would be truly balancedĀ
>>and which would be self renewing.  I would like to see a
>>process where each of the houses in the MAG has an equal
>>number of seats and can pick, through some yet to be
>>designed process, the occupants of these seatsĀ
>>using an open and transparent set of processes.
>
>Agreed. This is exactly what I meant by the MAG being
>"under-institutionalized."

for example:

"About the Advisory Group.  While supporting the
concept, we note that its composition, including
the proportionate representation of stakeholder
groups and the crosscutting technical and
academic communities, was not openly and
transparently discussed prior to its appointment.

Nor there is any clear transparency or clear norm
on its terms, mandate, and working principles.

We think that clear terms and rules should be
established for the Advisory Group between now
and Rio, through an open process involving all
the participants in the IGF as a shared
foundation for our common work.

We further consider that if these rules and
quarters for representation from each stakeholder
group were openly established, it would be
possible for the Secretary-General to delegate
the actual process of selection of Advisory Group
members to the stakeholder groups themselves.

Moreover, we express our dissatisfaction for the
limited representation of civil society in the
first instance of the Advisory Group, which
amounted to about five members out of about 40.

We think that the significant participation of
civil society and individual users, as proved by
the WGIG, is key to making Internet governance
events a success both in practical and political
terms.

Thus, we would like to see such participation
expanded to at least one-fourth of the group, if
not one-third, and to the same levels of the
private-sector and of the Internet technical
community.

We confirm our support to the civil society
members of the incumbent group and stand ready to
provide suggestions for additional members with
direct experience from diverse civil society
groups.

We also reiterate the need for the IGF to be
considered as a process rather than as an event."

>From the February IGC submission to IGF
consultation.  I might well be wrong, but I think
this statement while read at the consultation may
have been submitted late to the secretariat,
seems to have been overlooked on the website and
was not considered in the synthesis paper
summarizing the online contributions prepared by
the secretariat prior to that meeting.

Best,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org