[governance] MAG and bureau

Milton Mueller Mueller at syr.edu
Thu May 24 11:06:22 EDT 2007

>>> raul at lacnic.net 5/24/2007 9:02 AM >>>
>I still have not seen exactly what are the
>problems that we (or somebody else) are trying to solve.

For me, the main problem with the MAG is simply that it is
insufficiently institutionalized. Instead of a defined, bottom up
process for ongoing selection and rotation of its members, we have the
initial selections stuck into place indefinitely. And the selections
were hand-picked in a completely nontransparent and somewhat arbitrary
way. Let me hasten to add that that was ok to get things going, but we
cannot get stuck there.

There are some other issues related to the activities of the MAG and
the way they relate to the Secretariat that could be improved. This is
not a crisis, not yet, just a need for progress.

What problem are we trying to solve? We are trying to solve the problem
of preventing the IGF from stagnating and becoming irrelevant. We want
to build resilient institutional mechanisms that allow the IGF structure
to handle differences of perspectives among PS, CS and govts.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org