[governance] bureau yes bureau no???

Jeremy Malcolm Jeremy at Malcolm.id.au
Wed May 23 20:29:21 EDT 2007

Carlos Afonso wrote:
> I agree with Milton that a "bureau" or something similar (which could
> have a different name) may not do what he says it would "normally" (?) do.
>
> Secondly, we at the caucus started discussing the possible need for a
> bureau (latu sensu, please) some time ago, independently of any
> government proposal.
> In my view, unless the caucus agrees to the IGF not producing reports,
> recommendations etc (contrary to what the Tunis agenda recommends BTW),
> some form of hands-on support is needed, and this is not the role of the
> MAG.

I agree with Milton and Carlos et al (and am currently writing an
elaboration on that to submit for Giganet), so I don't think an
unqualified "no" to the bureau (or quasi-bureau) would have been an
appropriate statement from the IGC in Geneva.

--
Jeremy Malcolm LLB (Hons) B Com
Internet and Open Source lawyer, IT consultant, actor
     governance at lists.cpsr.org