[governance] bureau yes bureau no???

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Wed May 23 17:47:52 EDT 2007

On 5/23/07, Milton Mueller <Mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> --- William Drake <drake at hei.unige.ch> wrote:
> > Perhaps some talking past each other here.  Yes, in the
> > morning meeting, we said "the caucus has no position"
> > on the renewed bureau suggestions.
> > However, it is also true that the caucus has previously
> > affirmed support for the mAG approach as opposed to
> > a bureau---and make no mistake, they are
> > understood by all as opposites (but of course we have also
> > criticized the way the mAG concept has been implemented).
>
> I am not privy to the floor discussions but wish to make it clear that
> if "Bureau" means distinct silos into which governments, business and
> civil society retreat, and a WSIS-like arrangement in which the
> govermental bureau is "more equal" than the others, then the Bureau
> proposal is a step backwards that should not be taken. (it may however
> be possible for a bureau to not do that.)

Agreed.

> I also think that, with respect to the controversy between McTim et al,
> we have to trust the people on the floor, and particularly our caucus
> co-coordinators, to take appropriate action while there. Otherwise the
> caucus will be crippled as an effective force. We have mechanisms to
> hold our officers accountable if they abuse the latitude.
>
> A significant amount of the complaints about IGC actions are, in my
> opinion, motivated by an attempt to keep the caucus from doing
> anything.

perhaps you meant "doing anything that wasn't agreed
beforehand "

Surely, you can't possibly think that there are people who spend hours
everyday to stop this group from doing something?

In the real IG world, where policies are agreed/consensus is found on
mailing lists, last minute text isn't added in a f2f mtg, and
presented to the world as agreed by the group.  It's just not on.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim