[governance] bureau yes bureau no???

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed May 23 10:34:20 EDT 2007

>This just happened in the IGF consultation here in Geneva:
>
>Parminder stated that the CS caucus has no position regarding the
>formation of a bureau, as this needs more debate within the caucus for a
>consensus (or at least rought consensus) to be made -- this is the view
>we got from our caucus morning meeting today. On the other hand, Adam,
>who was not at the morning meeting, said that the caucus has absolutely
>rejected any bureau proposal, which in my view is not true.

(background -- a number of people mentioned they thought the caucus
supported the call for a Bureau.  A few governments suggested this.)

I'll have to see the transcript but the note I wrote for myself
before speaking was:

    as a member of the civil society IG caucus my view is the caucus
    does not support the concept of a Bureau.  we are concerned
    about this misunderstanding.

I hope I included "my view", who knows what might have come out of my
mouth once the mic was on!

I think saying we have no opinion is dodging the issue.  We either
speak at this meeting or not at all.

My view is we have seen no support for a Bureau from caucus members.
There is great concern (I share it) about the operation of the
advisory group, but no support for a Bureau.

>What is this? We need, at a minimum, a bit more coordination...

No.  If you support something, speak up.  Perhaps respond to this
email
<http://lists.cpsr.org/lists/arc/governance/2007-05/msg00303.html>

Thanks,

Adam