[governance] Final version A Legal Analysis of the Internet Governance Forum process

Dr. Francis MUGUET muguet at mdpi.net
Mon May 21 18:07:31 EDT 2007

Dear members of the list

Please find attached our contribution
to the IGF consultation meeting
entitled :
A Legal Analysis of the
Internet Governance Forum process.
from ENSTA - EUROLINC - WTIS

see also :
http://wsis-si.org/igf.html#23may07
with various formats more or less
politcally correct.

and some excerpts in
the IGF discussion space

According to this analysis, the
Internet Community well represented on this
list, as well as the "traditional" Civil Society
do not have to bend to intergovernmental rules,
but instead participate in the creation of
a new space of International Public Law :
UN fully multi-stakeholder process.

We believe that all stakeholders may benefit
from this new legal space.

For the internet community, and for example
ICANN that seeks an "Internation Organization" legal
status, the formation of the Bureau where
the Internet Community is a recognized
component could be a first step.

There is a saying "natura abhorat vacuum",
Nature hates vacuum, and we are in a legal
vacuum that cannot not be filled with
an advisory group that is anyway expired.

It is better that Civil Society and
the Internet Community be in a position
to offer a solution, before some other
stakeholders impose disadvantegeous ones.

Best regards

Francis Muguet

Disclaimer :
If I may choose now to be part of discussions
on the IGC list, it does mean that I want
to be part of the IGC caucus recommendation & position
taking and drafting process,
because many IGC members are precisely members
of the Internet Community that has claimed rightly to
be recognized as a distinct kind of constituency
to which, as an academic and scientist, I do not belong.
However, interestingly, the IGC list provides
a space of interaction between those two
communities.

   Francis F. Muguet  Ph.D
   MDPI  Open Access Journals -  Associate Publisher
   http://www.mdpi.org  muguet at mdpi.net

   Knowledge Networks & Information Society Lab. (KNIS)
   http://www.knis.org  http://www.ensta.fr/~muguet
   E.N.S.T.A  32 Boulevard Victor  muguet at ensta.fr
   75739 PARIS CEDEX FRANCE
   (33) 01.45.52.60.19 -- Fax: (33) 01.45.52.52.82

   WSIS  World Summit on the Information Society
   Chair Scientific Information WG http://www.wsis-si.org
   Co-chair Patents & Copyrights WG htt://www.wsis-pct.org

   Multi-Stakeholders UN agency proposal  http://www.unmsp.org

   WTIS World Tour of the Information Society
   http://www.wtis.org  muguet at wtis;org

     governance at lists.cpsr.org