[governance] Thoughts for Rio - pdf

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sun May 20 13:02:06 EDT 2007

>>> ajp at glocom.ac.jp 05/19/07 12:08 PM >>>
>flawed in suggesting that a bureau is in anyway an
>appropriate solution.  All a bureau would do in this
>UN context would reassert control by governments.

I was not happy with the "Bureau" proposal to begin with, but I am not
sure why there is a logical linkage between creating a bureau and
control by governments. Perhaps people with more experience with UN
strucures than I have can weigh in. I guess I viewed the Bureau as
simply a stronger, more representative and institutionalized IGF
Secretariat. Correct me if I am wrong.

>Every significant gain in how civil society has been able to
>participate in WSIS and after has been made through civil society
>organization from Internet policy traditions that simply got

I agree with most of what you say but do not view civil society
participation in UN processes as an end in itself. Rather, I prefer to
pass and ratify the correct public policies. The "correct" public
policies are, in my opinion, usually ones which formalize and strenthen
the sphere of freedom and decentralization of power on the internet.
E.g., privatization, liberalization and competition in the
infrastructure, In  my opinion govts must participate in, agree to, and
be bound by commitments to protect, preserve and extend those freedoms.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org