[governance] Thoughts for Rio - pdf

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sat May 19 12:08:24 EDT 2007

The proposal right on a number of important issues (it mirrors much
of what was said in the caucus proposal in February), but is deeply
flawed in suggesting that a bureau is in anyway an appropriate
solution.  All a bureau would do in this UN context would reassert
control by governments.

As we saw in WSIS the bureau structure was little more than
governments giving civil society a pat on the head every so often,
window dressing for multi-stakeholder participation.  Governments
decided what would happen and told civil society how they would be
allowed in over a glass of wine.  The bureau did virtually nothing to
improve civil society's speaking rights, degree of participation or
contribution to the agenda. (This is not to criticize the work of
CONGO who were and still are magnificent in fighting civil society's
position.)  The bureau structure is that of intergovernmental
negotiation where civil society is a minor/insignificant player.

Every significant gain in how civil society has been able to
participate in WSIS and after has been made through civil society
organization from Internet policy traditions that simply got on and
made themselves useful to the point of indispensable: true in WGIG
and true in the IGF to date.  Neither WGIG or IGF would have happened
without us: Athens would have been nothing without civil society's
contribution at all levels.  (even with no funding support we were
still the most numerous stakeholder
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Athens_stats_stakeholder.php>)

Look at the degree of involvement we have in the IGF process compared
to any other WSIS action line.

The proposal makes some good points. But a bureau would be a naive
and foolish step back to intergovernmental driven process. If we want
the states to lead us by the nose, form a bureau.

It's worth reading the transcript of the stocktaking session to
understand some of the issues
<http://www.intgovforum.org/Feb_igf_meeting/13_February_Consult_2007.txt>

Thanks,

Adam