[governance] Moderation, and other comments on the comments to the request for comments

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Wed May 16 12:54:20 EDT 2007

All,

I just got back from a couple of days travelling and offline, opened the
list and... whoa!

I must confess I've only had time to sample a bit of the discussion. I
can only join David Goldstein's appeal about netiquette. If people want
a more proactive moderation by coordinators, I'll be happy to oblige as
much as possible.

About the substance, if I may explain a bit, it is just normal that the
Board of a 100-employee corporation likes to get external opinions of
how well the corporation is performing, and whether it is reaching its
stated objectives. This does not really lie in the hyperspace realm of
international politics, but mostly in that of good management practices
for a company. Think of this as "should we give prizes to those who work
for ICANN, or should we fire as many as we can?" (well, some way in the
middle).

It is unfortunate that Kieren's message, which was clearly well
intentioned, hit someone's nerves. I think that what he meant is just to
give advice; anyone is entirely free not to take his advice and state
points in a different way, though, as per the advice, this will not make
any impact. Even free to dig it up after five years and say, "see? that
did not make any impact!". Even if it, indirectly, did. [IMHO, Karl's
doc had many good ideas, I wish there had been a way for it to be both
written and received in a less confrontational manner.] It is also
unfortunate that there is so much prejudice around, in all directions.

If the caucus wants to prepare a response to the RFC, that'd be
excellent. However, given my multiple involvements, I think I have to
recuse myself from leading such an effort. I don't want a 50-message
thread questioning whether the commas in my draft were added in good
faith. I will perhaps rather submit a personal response to the RFC.

Anyway, nothing justifies personal attacks, and protracted personal
quarrels that should definitely go off list. Please let me know if you
expect more proactive moderation, compatibly with offline times.

Regards,

P.S. In any case, if anyone had a grant to give, even 1/10th of Milton's
one... :-D
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------