[governance] Virtual Participation - It doesn't have to be complex to work well.

Robert Guerra rguerra at privaterra.org
Wed May 16 08:43:53 EDT 2007

Kieren:

Using technology for virtual participation isn't as complex as you
make it seem.

Suffice it to say that there are a variety of different tools and
methods that can be used to help involve a virtual audience into a
physical meeting. My experience has been that though bandwidth is
important, it isn't the only factor. The setup and format of the
physical meeting also is a key factor. Video though visually
appearing doesn't necessarily add much. A good audio stream is at
times sufficient .  For example, a teleconference combined with
interactive tools can perhaps suffice.

In the ICANN context, a simple solution would to place an audio
transcript of the meeting online. As the meetings are streamed
anyway, I don't think recording them would add any additional work.
The audio would have to be saved - that could either be done on the
ICANN site, or preferably on archive.org . With an online archive
individual users, the private sector, researchers, govts and others
could thus have a way to access the discussion if one missed a
particular meeting, or didn't catch part of the discussion on the
stream.

The Tunis phase WSIS meetings and well as the  IGF meeting in Athens
are online. If they can do it, then surely ICANN can do the same.

I'd be happy to follow-up with you the experience here in Canada as
well as novel approaches being using by the NGO sector to address the
issue of bringing people to a meeting remotely.

regards,

Robert
---
Robert Guerra <rguerra at privaterra.org>