[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Veni Markovski veni at veni.com
Sun May 13 22:09:42 EDT 2007

At 19:00 5/13/2007  -0700, you wrote:
>Preposterous is the first thought that comes from this idea, that of
>audio recording all board meetings and making them available to the
>public. How many companies and organisations around the world do
>this? I can only imagine the number that do it for all meetings
>would be negligible.
>
>I'm all for transparency and accountability, but I don't see why
>this should be expected.

You don't? But it's obvious: because that's one of the about 400 ways
to keep ICANN off its mission, and distract the public opinion in the
wrong direction. We have a saying in Bulgaria, "Let me say publicly
that your sister is a bad person, and then try to explain that you
don't have a sister at all".
So, when people say that ICANN is not transparent, they say, "You see
- they don't even record their meetings - something which costs
nothing, and we have even volunteers to do that". And somebody may
not even ask the question you are asking, but think, "Hmmm... right -
why don't they?"

veni

     governance at lists.cpsr.org