[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Sun May 13 11:09:12 EDT 2007

I think it would be helpful if ICANN were more
consistent in how it asks for comments.  There
are public comments that are part of official
policy develop processes (agreements posted for
public comment, etc), actions that either require
or ICANN desires formal comment (request for
proposals for contractors, etc), and more
recently, and particularly with the blog etc,
there have been more general "have your say" type
requests.

This latest request seems to fall between the
formal and informal.  While the intention behind
the request is excellent, it's unfortunate
"request for public comments" was used when
"Dialogue on ICANN's Performance" better
describes what's being sought, and the
informality of it.

"Request for Public Comments and Dialogue on
ICANN's Performance" seems to be part of the same
overall thread as last year's "Request for
Comments on ICANN Accountability and Transparency
Management Operating Principles".  CIRA of course
has a particular interest in that (they pretty
much instigated it, and still have cash riding on
it, or have they paid?) so should not be a
surprise they reacted as they did.

Answer might be to cut the request for comments
part from this initial month long dialogue,
extend the discussion up to and including the San
Juan meeting, and begin a formal "request for
comments" along the lines CIRA suggests, building
on this initial dialogue, after San Juan. And
internally decide how to describe the different
requests for input.

Very good that ICANN has become much more open
and informative --been a breath of fresh air--
but I think it needs a bit more control over when
to be chatty and informal, and when more it's
being stuffy and international organization-like.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org