[governance] ICANN RFC on its performance

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Sat May 12 14:26:25 EDT 2007

Hi Kieren,

Just one perhaps unusual (and given the comments that will probably ensue,
somewhat off topic) thought.  You suggest that, ³the idea of discussing
ICANN at the IGF is, I assume, in order to draw attention to the elements of
the ICANN model that people don¹t think are working properly.²  That¹s one
idea, but there are other possibilities in such a dialogue, including
highlighting the bits that do work relatively well, and considering whether
these offer any generalizable lessons worth applying elsewhere.  For
example, long ago and far away, the WGIG did a little exercise where we
tried to look at how some of the key organizations did or didn¹t comply with
the WSIS principles.  When we compared ITU and ICANN it became immediately
evident that the latter was more transparent and inclusively
participatory/multistakeholder, which made the notion of somehow
transferring functions to the ITU even more patently indefensible, and it
disappeared from the debate.  Proponents of intergovernmental Œoversight¹
were then left to propose various sorts new councils etc. that were plainly
not going to go anywhere.

An instinctive Œcircle the wagons¹ response to proposals for mere discussion
may be as contrary to ICANN¹s long-term interests as it is to preferences of
ICANN¹s critics.  Why not view this as an unique opportunity tell ICANN¹s
story and carpe diem, rather than shutting it down?  And BTW, while there
are undoubtedly people with grievances ³that are rapidly becoming
historical,² that¹s not what the caucus is proposing to talk about.  We
deleted the history language long ago and suggested discussion of,  ³ICANN's
status as an international organization, its representation of various
constituencies and stakeholders, and the changing role of the GAC within
ICANN,² which are forward looking topics.

Best,

Bill

William J. Drake  drake at hei.unige.ch
Director, Project on the Information
  Revolution and Global Governance/PSIO
  Graduate Institute for International Studies
  Geneva, Switzerland
http://hei.unige.ch/psio/researchprojects/Drake.html