[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Mon May 7 06:15:31 EDT 2007

Parminder wrote:
> As Jeremy says, and was said by a few more, lets not take the schedule as
> given. It is an input doc from the secretariat; we will give another one
> from IGC. Any institution has self-preserving, status-quoists and low risk
> taking attributes.....

I think arguing against the four main themes is the wrong target. The
advantage of having broad themes such as access, openness and the like
is that they offer interpretative flexibility. There is hardly anything
that cannot be discussed under these umbrellas. We should treat them as
containers we can fill! As a side note, its worth keeping in mind that
the IGF is supposed to have a strong developmental dimension. It is
important that our suggestions reflect this dimension.

What we really should focus on in my view is to get all elements
of the IGF's mission to be taken into account. It would be good to do
this in a way that doesn't antagonize everybody. A compromise I could
imagine is to suggest topics not only for plenary sessions but also for
workshops.

jeanette

civil society has its core business in challenging

     governance at lists.cpsr.org