[governance] How is this operationalised in the US?

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Mon May 7 02:36:12 EDT 2007

>On 5/5/07, Parminder
><<mailto:parminder at itforchange.net>parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
>
>Riaz
>
>>  The Treasury states that "except for information or informational
>>  materials and donated articles intended to relieve human suffering, such
>>  as food, clothing and medicine, and the licensed export of agricultural
>>  commodities. no goods, technology, or services may be exported from the
>>  United States to Sudan".
>>

>Wonder if it means that, legally, ICANN cant export its services to
>Sudan....
>

>It might, if ICANN "exported services", but since they don't, it's moot.

Not sure how relevant: Mohammed El Bashir was recently elected to
ALAC, Mohammed's from Sudan. Mohammed El Fatih El Tigani Ali, Sudan,
is serving currently his second term as a member if ICANN's
Nominating Committee. ICANN has a sponsorship agreement with the
operator of the .sd (Sudan) ccTLD.

ICANN seems to be able to enter into agreements with Sudanese
representatives, Sudanese citizens hold leadership positions in ICANN
and can select others for leadership positions.  I don't know if
these are "services" under US treasury rules.

Siavash Shahshahani from Iran, another not so favored nation, has
been a member of ALAC for a couple of years.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org