[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG - content

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon May 7 01:27:11 EDT 2007

Hi All

We are taking inputs on the four topic areas for the main sessions (open for
next 24 hours before consolidation), for which a draft is already proposed.
In my email yesterday I had suggested that we have an opening para or two
contextualizing what are we doing, and why. Bill said it may not be
necessary and be read negatively etc, and that in the formulation of the
themes itself it is obvious that we are taking  a different approach,  and I
agreed. However, I now think that it may not be so obvious what are we doing
and why, and an introduction invoking TA and the interests of our
constituencies is important. I think all advocacy docs which present a
forceful position shd do it.

My present proposal for the statement on themes for the main sessions at IGF
Rio is as follows. This is a quick first draft, and will be corrected.
Inputs solicited.

(statement begins)

This is the contribution of the IGC towards setting up the agenda of the
main sessions at IGF Rio. Our contribution on other issues, regarding
content of workshops etc, and issues of structures, participation etc will
be made separately.

We will like to preface our contribution by referring to the Tunis Agenda,
and noting that many aspects of the mandate of the IGF which gives it a more
proactive role than merely a policy deliberative space, remain unfulfilled.
These are in terms of interfacing with and promoting dialogue among IG
institutions, making its own analyses, making recommendations etc. So, while
this far IGF has only focused on its role as a policy deliberative space, we
feel that the IGF should take this role more seriously, and in an output
focused manner. In terms of its main themes, around which plenary sessions
are organized, it is important that they capture important public policy
issues in the IG arena which are uppermost in the people's minds. And that
they are presented in the terms and language that they are being spoken of
in public spaces, while bringing in the best expertise to the issues.

Merely mentioning broad concerns like access and openness do not make for
any useful deliberations. We are therefore suggesting below four topics on
which main sessions should deliberate, along with the outline of the major
issues implicated in each topic area. These subjects are in our opinion the
most important public policy issues in the IG realm that concern most people
today, and an open discussion on these will enable us to move forward on
them. Taking up these issues in the right earnest will also provide greater
legitimacy to IGF, as fulfilling its mandated role in this respect.

The four topics for main sessions should be:

(1) Plenary on Internet Global Public Policy

A call to "discuss public policy issues related to key elements of Internet
governance" is the first point in the IGF mandate in the  Tunis agenda. The
Agenda deals at length with the question of new  global public policy issues
regarding IG, the possibility of new frameworks and structures, and the role
of existing ones (e.g,  paragraphs 61, 69). We therefore believe that an IGF
Plenary session should explore the following topics:

a) What is "public policy" on the Internet and when do we need to  use
global institutions to establish it? The Tunis Agenda  distinguishes between
"technical" and "public policy" issues, and  between public policy and the
"day-to-day technical and operational  matters." What makes an Internet
governance issue a "public policy"  issue, and what happens when policy
concerns are closely linked to  technical administration?

b) What was intended by the TA's call for the "development of
globally-applicable principles on public policy issues associated  with the
coordination and management of critical Internet resources"  and how can
this goal be pursued?

(2) ICANN and Core Internet Resources

Core Internet resources should be discussed as a main session in the IGF.
Policy toward "critical Internet resources" are a major topic  in the Tunis
Agenda and the mandate for the IGF. Currently, name and number resources are
administered by ICANN and the Regional Internet Registries. This session
should discuss the policy issues and policy making processes in these
institutions. In particular, ICANN's  status as an international
organization, its representation of individual users, and the changing role
of the  GAC within ICANN should be discussed.

(3) Global Internet policies impacting access to and effective use of the
Internet by disadvantage people and groups - The development agenda in IG

"Under the general theme of access, we would like to have a plenary session
devoted to the topic, how can global Internet governance policies and
practices have an impact on disadvantaged peoples' access to, and effective
use of, the Internet and their access to knowledge? This panel would try to
identify and explore the specific policies, institutional mechanisms,
resource allocation processes, property rights regimes and financing
mechanisms that are international in scope and can have a real affect on
access to, and effective use of, the Internet."

(4) role and mandate of IGF

The Tunis Agenda mandated that the IGF should, inter alia, facilitate
discourse between bodies dealing with different cross-cutting international
public policies and issues that do not fall within the scope of any existing
body; interface with appropriate inter-governmental organizations and other
institutions on matters under their purview;  identify emerging issues,
bring them to the attention of the relevant bodies and the general public,
and, where appropriate, make recommendations; and promote and assess, on an
ongoing basis, the embodiment of WSIS principles in Internet governance
processes. Since these critically important, value-adding functions cannot
be performed by any existing Internet governance mechanism, nor by annual
conferences built around plenary presentations from invited speakers, the
purpose of this panel would be to foster an open and inclusive dialogue on
how the IGF could fulfill these and other elements of its mandate.

(ends)

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org