[governance] IGC statement to IGF MAG - content

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun May 6 05:35:24 EDT 2007

I agree we need to work fast on this. A couple of suggestions/
contributions.

> First, we need to transform the draft in something
> coherent. Then we need to get it approved by the caucus: this requires a
> final consensus call on a non-modifiable text, that lasts at least 48
> hours. As I would try to make it for the May 17 deadline, that can be
> scheduled for, say, May 13-16.

To keep things relatively neat, quick, and likely to produce best outcomes,
I propose that

(1) for our internal processes of acceptance/adoption by the IGC we separate
the content part from other parts of the statement. . We can then pull it
together while actually making the statement. The two parts will be distinct
even in the final statement so that there are no substantive changes after
the two parts of the statement are accepted by the caucus.

(2) I will like to put the two parts for consensus sooner, so that they
could be voted upon if necessary, and/or also make to the written input
stage for incorporation into the synthesis doc for the meeting.

My proposal is that we collect inputs into the 4 part theme structure as per
Bill's email enclosed here over the next three days, 7th to 9th, on 9th
night we put the 'content' doc up for rough consensus and wait for 48 hours.
If adopted, we submit it for 14th deadline of written inputs. If not, we put
it for vote and if then adopted take it directly to the meeting as a spoken
statement.

I will try and propose an intro para or two for thematic or content
submission which will make the point (in the spirit of our submission of
themes) that IGF 2 needs to be different than IGF 1 in terms of its
substantive content, and that it should address real issues that most
concern people today in the IG realm, and in the language that they are
mostly formulated in public spaces. And that this will enable it to fulfill
its mandate under p72 much better. If anyone will like to draft this intro
paras for 'content' submission, please do.

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org