[governance] How is this operationalised in the US?

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat May 5 13:45:29 EDT 2007

Riaz

> The Treasury states that "except for information or informational
> materials and donated articles intended to relieve human suffering, such
> as food, clothing and medicine, and the licensed export of agricultural
> commodities. no goods, technology, or services may be exported from the
> United States to Sudan".

Wonder if it means that, legally, ICANN cant export its services to
Sudan....

>the US Treasury has apparently banned
> access to images from Google Earth in Sudan as part of its ongoing
> export controls and economic sanctions against the country.

Google is now almost as universal and monopolistic an element of Internet's
architecture as ICANN. Its control by US government is a matter of great
concern. The problem is that other countries can only control/ regulate
google at and within their digital gates (as china does), i.e. if they can
afford good gates, but US can do it for other countries as well.

And here we are still arguing whether there is any need at all for globally
acceptable Internet policies...

Parminder

     governance at lists.cpsr.org