[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

George Sadowsky george.sadowsky at attglobal.net
Wed May 2 11:04:56 EDT 2007

Estimado Carlos,

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  Each of the points in
paragraph 72 can be addressed by a range of
possible activities.  I'm proposing that how we
choose which of those activities or processes to
execute should depend crucially upon whether its
execution will move toward desirable goals or not.

As a simple beginning to stating the goals, it's
my belief that 99.99+% of the Internet community
-- and here I refer to the Internet community in
its broadest sense -- will be satisfied with a
set of Internet governance arrangements that will:

- provide them with accessible, available and affordable Internet service;

- treat their communications as private and confidential; and

- not block in any way their access to
communication or content or their ability to
"speak" freely over the Internet.

In other words, they want unrestricted access,
pure and simple, with guarantees of privacy, and
that is both necessary and sufficient.

I suggest that governance arrangements that
fulfill these three criteria belong in a set of
good governance arrangements, while those
violating any of these criteria are to be
avoided.  I also suggest that how the elements of
para. 72 are approached will determine whether
the exercise promotes the above goals or not.
The goals should drive the means for achieving
them.

I hope that this helps.

AmitiƩs,

George