[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Wed May 2 04:46:38 EDT 2007

At 8:39 AM +0200 5/2/07, William Drake wrote:
>Hi,

<snip>

>I don't think the texts on the four themes have been collated before, so
>I've done so below.  Maybe it'd make sense to tweak them collectively for
>overall coherence etc.  The first one is a lot longer than the others, if
>that matters, and the framing/formatting is variable.

Bill, thanks.

>Cheers,
>
>Bill
>--------

I think it may take while to agree on exact wording (if ever :-) but
this is very helpful.  I don't think we need to wait to get agreement
on all these ideas and should send a simple statement about core
resources as soon as possible.

<more snipped>

>(2) ICANN and Core Internet Resources

Add a sentence at the beginning to say (something along the lines of)

Thank you for posting draft programme outline and meeting schedule
for the Rio de Janeiro IGF and providing the opportunity to comment.
The IGC's initial response is

>Core Internet resources should be discussed as a main session in the
>IGF. Policy toward "critical Internet resources" are a major topic  in
>the Tunis Agenda and the mandate for the IGF.

adding:

A clear intention of the IGF was to facilitate discussion of such
issues, every consultation has heard comments from many different
stakeholders requesting such discussion. We request the draft
programme prepared for the May 23rd consultation include critical
Internet resources as the theme of a "main session".

Signed by our two coordinators and sent.

I don't see how this can be controversial.  Consistent with
everything the caucus has agreed since WGIG (perhaps before.)

I don't agree with the following part of the draft on core resources
so would not send it. Needs more discussion.  But I think we do agree
that "critical Internet resources" should be the topic of a main
session, so let's say that now.

>Currently, name and
>number resources are administered by ICANN and the Regional Internet
>Registries. This session should discuss the policy issues and policy
>making processes in these institutions. In particular, ICANN's  status
>as an international organization, its representation of individual
>users, and the changing role of the  GAC within ICANN should be
>discussed.

Above is too specific, I would not like to see a main session
discussing ICANN, individual users in ICANN, GAC or anything so
narrow.  For discussion in a workshop is fine.  Main session, waste
of time.  ICANN is minute detail, simply isn't important enough.  In
my personal opinion.

Thanks,

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org