[governance] Programme outline and schedule released

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Tue May 1 05:47:21 EDT 2007

Karl Auerbach <karl at cavebear.com> wrote:

> All in all what this says to me is this - the existing vacuum of
> governance is real and unless things get concrete really fast that
> vacuum will be filled by the those who move the fastest with the mostest
> - which means well financed US, European, and certain Asian industrial
> interests.
>
> It may be the traditional language of diplomatic discourse, but my sense
> is that the euphemisms and indirections, and delays to engage on the
> real issues of internet governance is going to lead to an future
> internet that is so laden with toll gates and cull-outs for incumbent
> industrial segments (such as the intellectual property protection
> industry) that it will make the old telco's green with envy.

I agree wholeheartedly.

> I had hope for an program that was more concrete and firmly addresses
> the following matters:
>
>    A) The jobs to be done
>
>    B) The principles to be applied to those jobs
>
>    C) the concrete engines to perform those jobs

While I can't claim to ever have been so optimistic to expect the IGF
to adopt that kind of concrete goal-oriented work-programme, I
strongly agree with you that that is what is needed.

I think it is very obvious by now that unless strong pressure is
applied to the IGF process, that kind of work-programme certainly
isn't going to happen within the IGF process.

I would suggest that the only way in which it is feasible to apply
such pressure is to start working on creating a competing process
focused on the three-point work-programme which Karl outlined.  This
process should be designed so that it defers to the IGF process and
other existing internet governance processes to the extent that those
processes do what needs to be done, BUT will compete in all areas
where those processes fail to do what needs to be done.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                    http://Norbert.ch