[governance] Re: ICANN Successfully Conducts Laboratory Tests of Internationalised Domain Names

subbiah subbiah at i-dns.net
Thu Mar 8 20:00:54 EST 2007

I can't believe I am actually agreeing with Stephane on this one,

(1) IDN as used today, was originally conceived by the Singapore team
back in 1997/8 precisely so that the labels on the wire will all be
effectively in ascii. Therefore by design they were not expected to
cause any problems inherent in the non-English script themselves. That
was the whole point. So its no surprise it works. While not in my mind
totally useless as Stephane states, the current tests would never (:-))
have failed.

(2) The ICANN test just announced was not in the full root but rather a
lab-like, more limited environment. Similar tests were successfully
conducted back in the year-long Asian testbed in 1998/9 by APNG.

(3) As for a real-life test in large numbers on a large fraction of  net
users, while ICANN prepares to do one, a very close cousin has been
ongoing in real commercial-life for 3 or more years in China involving
over a 100M end-users and many tens of thousands of issued names, in the
case of the Chinese script (which is about different as a script as you
can imagine from ASCII, not that it matters from a puny code point of
view). Similar efforts in other scripts but in smaller size are also
ongoing for a number of years in a number of other countries/scripts,
for example the Arab League sponsored (22 Arabic country Arabic script
effort) with the participation of the monopoly national ISPs of several
Arabic countries.

Cheers

Subbiah

     governance at lists.cpsr.org