[governance] Re: ICANN Successfully Conducts Laboratory Tests of Internationalised Domain Names

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Thu Mar 8 13:43:24 EST 2007

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
>> Anyone interested in the deployment of IDNs might be interested
>> yesterday's announcement of the successful conclusion of laboratory
>> tests of internationalised TLDs in a setting corresponding to the
>> public root.
>
> No, it is completely useless. Since a Punycode name is a regular
> domain name, there was nothing to test...

A rather more useful work is to be found in a recent internet draft -
DNS Referral Response Size Issues -
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-dnsop-respsize-07.txt

The reason that response size is important is that DNS responses will
tend to become larger with the introduction of IDN names, which will
probably tend to be longer than the current average name.  And because
DNS uses UDP for efficiency and also because DNS has an ancient and
obsolete 512 byte size limit, this size increase could cause a
multiplication of DNS traffic.

I raised this issue in ICANN years ago, and was ignored.  It is good
that Paul V. is once again doing the right thing (previously he did
anycast of the F root) despite stasis on the part of the body that one
would think had been invested with the responsibility.

What this means in terms of internet governance is that we ought to
construct structures that can be bypassed so that when they become
technically static that good people can go ahead and fix the situation.
  Yes, this risks fragmentation of the internet, but to my mind the net
will follow the good ideas as long as governance constraints are limited.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org