[governance] RE: GAID

Michael Gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 16:10:50 EST 2007

Thanks Wolfgang for your interesting observations and comments...

I should be clear I guess... My concern is less with the specific
involvement of civil society in the process. The GAID structure (fwiw)
appears to include a tri-partite representation from civil society
http://www.un-gaid.org/en/council/members . Rather my concern comes from
precisely the top down structure and more particularly the absence of
effective participation in the operation from those actually involved in
ICT4D.

This observation and "critique" I should say comes less from theoretical
notions of what role civil society "should" play in these processes of
governance and more in the quite empirical and pragmatic observation
that ICT4D won't/can't work unless there is significant involvement in
the design, implementation and development of the activities by those
actually doing the job on the ground.

Again from simple observation (and direct experience here in Canada and
elsewhere) the only way to ensure that the lessons of what works and
doesn't becomes part of the overall process is for specific measures to
be taken to ensure that this happens. The best way I think, that this
can be accomplished is by having some formal process of inclusion of
practitioners (and activists) in the decision making structures.

It should be noted, BTW, that this is in fact happening in a number of
jurisdictions (for example India, Bangla Desh and Sri Lanka) where
governments are currently undertaking major programs of support for
community based ICT4D initiatives in considerable degree with practical
and close cooperation with local NGO's who are (and have been) working
in these areas on the ground for years (I mentioned this in my recent
note to the Governance list referring to the workshop organized by
Parminder, Anita and their colleagues at IT4Change).

These latter and quite recent (in most instances post-WSIS) initiatives
suggest some exciting possibilities for how a GAID might operate which I
guess to some degree was the basis for my disappointment (and
"critique") for how it was in fact operating.

Having a meeting of the GAID with "civil society" as a parallel to the
meeting with Silicon Valley would be, I agree, a very useful initiative
but whether at the World Social Forum or in a context where for example
some of those NGO's involved in the South Asian initiatives (and their
counterparts in other parts of the world) would be more likely to be in
attendance is something that I would like to see considered.

Best,

MG

Michael Gurstein, Ph.D.
Centre for Community Informatics Research, Development and Training
gurstein at gmail.com
Vancouver, BC CANADA v6z 2s1
tel: +1-604-602-0624
fax: +1-604-602-0624