[governance] IGC Workshop Proposal

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Wed Jun 27 09:33:51 EDT 2007

Hi Karen,

> two points missing for me (both i raised or commented on earlier)
>
> - the connection to para 73 - linking this workshop with the process
> of assessment - we did discuss this earlier - can we still include this point?
>
> - the role of IGF - can we put in something general about the role of
> the IGF in the broader governance landscape.. it could be part
> of  point B below but i'd like to see it there

Suggest you write and insert them rather than someone else guessing for you.
Personally I think the latter's implied by the mandate but whatever.

> what is the objective of this? we wouldn't want to get caught up in
> too much reflection on how the mandate came to be.. would this be
> more a context setting?

Not too much no, but I think it's worth emphasizing that these words didn't
just appear out of thin air, they were the product of several dialogues in
which all stakeholders signed off on them, and they had meaning and
intentionality.

>> B. Whether some or all of the functions enumerated in the mandate are
>> important, value-adding, activities that are not being performed elsewhere,
>> would benefit the global community, and are uniquely suited to the IGF;
>
> i find this a bit difficult to follow - do you mean, identify which
> of points a through k, are more uniquely suited to the  IGF?

Not just the last clause, but right, it would be useful to have dialogue
between those who do and don't think these particular items are compelling
and worth doing to see if any consensus can be reached on doing anything
related to any of them, and if not, why not.  See previous messages.

> could probably do with some editing down, but that can come later

If you think something doesn't need saying propose edits now, there is no
later.  I personally don't think it's worth fussing too much on the
wordcraft, the mAG will understand what this is and either approve it or
not.

Cheers,

BD

     governance at lists.cpsr.org