[governance] IGF workshops

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 15 00:51:06 EDT 2007

Hi

I want to re-state my proposal that IGC does some workshops at IGF. It will
serve both to push our substantive agenda, and to enhance the profile of
IGC. I had earlier proposed three themes for workshops. All these are from
our agreed priorities for IGF agenda (as per our input to May IGF
consultations).

These are

(1) Global Internet Public Policy - Issues and Institutions

(2) Global Internet policies Impacting Access to and Effective Use of the
Internet by Disadvantaged People and Groups - The Development Agenda in IG
(this can also build on the giganet session on a similar theme)

(3) The Role and Mandate of the IGF.

I am not sure we will be able to sponsor all three. But the third one - role
and mandate of the IGF - was suggested by some as a workshop theme. It also
becomes important in terms of financing IGF discussions on this list these
last few days. I think we must try to organize this workshop on behalf of
IGC, and find partners for it.

We should also look at doing another workshop on access/ development agenda
in IG - in view of repeated assertions that access is the most important
issue. This depends on whether we choose to do one workshop or two.

There isnt much time, and we need to first get an agreement here (which can
be built over the agreement already reached on importance of these themes
last month), then get partners and then get a workshop proposal done. We can
also to try to this non-linearly, but still there isnt much time. I request
inputs on this issue. Thanks

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore