[governance] IGF financing

William Drake drake at hei.unige.ch
Wed Jun 13 03:43:05 EDT 2007

Hi,

On 6/11/07 6:44 PM, "Bertrand de La Chapelle" <bdelachapelle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Anyway, I'd be happy to learn what your own preference would be, what concrete
> solution you favor : just governments ? or just the UN ? or just some
> international organizations ? The key question is, again : what is the
> appropriate financing structure for the IGF in order to guarantee regularity
> of resources and independence from lobbies and pressure groups ? Can we
> address this issue calmly, with the attention it deserves ?

------

According to this news item from yesterday,
www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/12/igf_nominet_2007/

³Kummer has spent much of the last six months trying to win more funding. At
a meeting at Parliament last week, hosted by Nominet, the not-for-profit
which operates the .uk registry, the Department of Trade and Industry
announced it had found £23,000 down the back of its sofas (the Swiss
government has donated $500,000).²

174 states & the EU signed off on the Tunis Agenda creating the IGF.  If
just ten more could find some chump change in their sofas (equivalent to
about a nanosecond of their foreign affairs budgets, or maybe one cocktail
break at the G8), we (taxpayers all---to two countries in the case of us
unfortunate US expats) wouldn¹t need to have this conversation, the IGF
could have something more like a secretariat, and Markus could refocus his
energies.  To me the question is not can we shake micropayments out of
individual taxpayers and financially marginal NGOs, but rather what sort of
game are the governments playing here.

Two cents,

Bill