[governance] IGF financing

Dan Krimm dan at musicunbound.com
Mon Jun 11 17:40:29 EDT 2007

Just one more comment from the outside observer, from a policy perspective.

Seems to me that Milton and Parminder both are suspicious of the influence
of funding on policy, as anyone with minimal political consciousness should
be.

One plausible way to minimize this undue influence is for funding to be
broadly sourced.  So, Bertrand, if your idea of MS funding is that no one
funder should have significant influence over policy, then everyone shares
the same goals and the disagreement is about practical mechanics and
structures.

If there is private funding, it should probably be structurally capped to
constrain potential influence of policy by any one player.  Also, getting
funding from an aggregate body such as the UN may additionally dilute the
influence of any individual member of the aggregate on the funded
policy-making process.

This reminds me a bit of the "Chinese Wall" that traditionally used to
inhere in commercial publications like magazines and newspapers, but which
is increasingly under fire in the present era.  There is intense pressure
on editorial departments to adhere to constraints demanded by large
advertisers, through the "publishing" departments (i.e., marketing and ad
sales) of these publications.  The editors have been progressively losing
this battle over time, and when you get someone like Rupert Murdoch trying
to buy the Wall Street Journal, it causes all sorts of alarm, and justly so.

In public governance, the influence of money in elections, lobbying, and
"Iron Triangles" (narrow quid-pro-quos by special interests, legislators
and regulators) is similar and incontrovertible.  So, the bottom line seems
to be:

 * How can we set up a Chinese Wall between money and policy?

Perfection is not an option, so the more nuanced question is:

 * How can we structurally minimize the influence of money on policy?

If multi-stakeholder funding raises alarms, it must be because those
structures have not insulated policy from money in the past.  So, if one
wants to proceed with something along those lines:

 * What explicit institutional structures/processes can be put in place to
improve the insulation of policy from money?

But all this still does not address Parminder's concern that those without
resources to contribute to funding will tend not to get representation of
their policy interests.  Who speaks for the mute?  Or, more formally:

 * How can the policy-making process be structured to address *all*
stakeholder interests, even when some stakeholders do not have the
resources to participate actively?

Bertrand, if you can answer these questions more precisely, then perhaps
you will find more positive response to your ideas, or at least more
willingness to work within your framework to find solutions to these
questions.  At the very least, if you make it quite clear that these goals
of separating money from policy-making are your top priority (and that you
are not necessarily "married" to any particular approach to achieving these
goals -- if you try to choose your structural tool before you have examined
the details of all the structural options, then that is logically backward
in the policy formulation process), then you might be more able to proceed
with less distraction from concerns arising from vague under-specification
of structural details.

Hope this is helpful,

Dan

PS -- I am not under the illusion that the answers to these questions are
easy to determine.  But, they are crucial to determine if we are to build a
just society.

At this point, from my outside vantage, it seems that the structural
options may not have been fully fleshed out, and it may be worth
considering them all.  It may be that they all need additional conceptual
development in order to best address the problem of insulating policy from
money, and after that is completed they should be compared as to how well
they would be expected to satisfy these goals.  Maybe there are additional
considerations that need to be traded off.  In the end, choose the best
solution at hand.  But if you are presenting multi-stakeholder (whatever
that really is in detail, I'm not sure I know) as the only structural
option to examine at all, then you are calling the winner before the race.
You should have the race first.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org