[governance] Building the IGF

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Jun 11 12:02:34 EDT 2007

Hi Vittorio

Excuse me to change the subject to 'building the IGF', I think the situation
is still not so bad. And I agree that as the main instigators and supporters
of IGF we should do everything to save and build it.

Addressing the two points in your email.

One, I invite the CS members of MAG to engage with the IGC on how we can do
what you have asked for when you say

>we have to be
> more committed to building effective channels of communications between
> our representatives in the AG and the broader set of civil society
> participants, especially as the IGF might adopt more formalized
> representative structures.

Second on the differences on whether 'IGF shd make recommendations or not' I
agree that we need to take a cautious attitude, and dispel misgiving all
around - on both sides, as you describe them.

I think the fear of the 'Internet community' is that governments will use
IGF to issues diktats against its institutions, and in the long run use it
for a takeover. We need to tell them, that on this count, they have more to
fear from enhanced cooperation, especially if it takes place in
behind-the-scene parlays of government. Nitin pointed out, as is also clear
from the tunis docs, that EC consists of two parts - an inter-governmental
initiated one, and a bottom-up one among IG related institutions. Internet
community's safety lies in keep a close aligning with all constituencies,
especially of CS. And IGF is a good place to do it. It should be most
bothered about its image in CS, and try to win as big a part of it as
possible through open interactions and engagements. It should also give up
its head-in-the-sand attitude that CS is basically with it, except for some
government-instigated people. They should be most afraid of losing CS
support. New CS constituencies keep joining the IG arena, and I see no
strategy of ICANN to win them over.....

Governments need to be told that all attempts into making it into another
inter-governmental forum of you-scratch-my back kind of deals will be
resisted, and CS, business, and internet community has enough strength at
IGF to do it. So, IGF is not going to get into government sponsored diktats,
if that's what they mean by recommendations... they can keep trying to do
that from GAC.

However, in between the two sets of fears/ position, it is my view, and of
many others that IGF need to evolve further, and too many people are already

disillusioned and cutting themselves off from IGF, and soon it may be too
late. It is a new experiment, and we need to be cautious to give it time to
mature, and it must keep moving in the right direction. That's important.

Well, I had asked this question: why many in the CS, and some of internet
community as well, liked WGIG so much, but they cant accept a standing WGIG
like body in IGF, which can do things as WGIG did, and give recommendations
only as WGIG did. What the real difference here???

Because, as we go to mediate, it is also necessary that we have some
positions of our own - or some alternatives which can be discussed,
negotiated etc. We need not rush into anything right away, but discussing
and moving our positions forward towards common grounds within the IGC will
be useful.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore