Betr.: RE: [governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (someideas)

Milton Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Sat Jun 9 17:01:43 EDT 2007

Dr. Milton Mueller
http://www.digital-convergence.org
http://www.internetgovernance.org

>>> parminder at itforchange.net 06/08/07 5:01 AM >>>
>.While I agree with the spirit of your email about broadening
>and diversifying IGF's funding base, I have deep problems with
>both your and Lee's formulation of the issue. This is a trading
>house logic, not that of constitution of public policy bodies.
>As per what you say above, the final outcome of your
>recommended process will be  - those who have the ability to
>pay more will have greater influence over policy.

Final outcome? In case you hadn't noticed, money has had greater
influence over policy for about ten centuries. Don't blame the
messenger.

Basically, Lee and I were asserting two things:

a) vested interests can be expected to use financial support as leverage
over the activities of the IGF

b) we need to find a way to institutionalize support for IGF that
minimizes this problem (we will never eliminate it)

Do you disagree with either of these propositions? If not, please spare
us the posturing of moral superiority, and help come up with feasible
ideas regarding b)

     governance at lists.cpsr.org