[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Thu Jun 7 22:24:39 EDT 2007

Parminder,

I read this the opposite way, actually: it's a good sign if people are
making real or implicit threats about what the IGF may or may not do, it
means it matters to them. Not bad for a 1 year old!

And yeah in politics it all comes down to budgets, so discussing that
isn;t brazen, it's basic.  Marcus is using this to say to others: 'how
about coming up with $$ for IGF too if you disagree?" which is just what
he should do.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> guru at itforchange.net 6/7/2007 12:05 PM >>>
Excerpt from BD mail below -
"I didn't hear this threat at the meeting.  What are you referring to?
My
sense was that the ICANN crowd understood that there was no way this
could
be kept off the agenda in the face of so much demand."

I thought this 'threat' was fairly well known ... See the attached mail
from
a MAG member suggesting that  ".... There is a grave danger that
financial
support and general involvement of non government participants will be
withdrawn...."

This mail has been circulating in some elists that I am a member of,
and I
thought it a matter of great interest for the IGC ...

Though the mail is  part of MAG's processes, by sending a formal
communication, quoting outputs from a meeting of some MAG members, to
Nitin
Desai and Martin Kummer (to which Kummer gave a fitting response, also
attached) qualifies for putting it in the public domain. I think that
this
serves the best interests of accountability, transparency and people's
right
to know.

I feel sad that the mere act of broadening the discussions to include
the
agenda proposals of other stakeholders is resulting in such threats.
The
traditional' powers that be' apparently don't want democratisation of
the IG
space. Such a brazen use of the lever of financial support to
influence
substantive agenda of a global public policy body is a matter of grave
concern, on which I hope IGC will take some position.

If these mails or their contents are not factually true, I would stand
corrected, would be glad to get a confirmation/rebuttal on this count.

Regards,
Guru