[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Sat Jun 2 03:26:30 EDT 2007

Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> Karl Auerbach wrote:
>> I have much the same concern as you do about "consensus" - I do not
>> see it as a stable or viable approach. ...
> True it is that consensus will often not be achieved.  But that is not
> to be regarded as a failure of the process.  Making decisions is only
> part of what consensus is about, and in some contexts a small part.  It
> is also about shaping opinions.  It can thus narrow areas of difference
> to be resolved through other mechanisms of governance (such as rules,
> norms, markets, or architecture).

I'm having some trouble appreciating what you are saying; and I sense
that we may have a fundamentally different view of what this thing
"internet governance" is.

To my mind, if a matter is one that admits of separate choice by each
actor and that centralized plenary oversight is not necessary, then I
don't see how that is a matter that ought to be subject to "internet
governance" at all.

To my mind, only those techo-internet matters that require, and I mean
really require, a unified, singular body to make binding decisions, are
matters that require a layer of internet governance.

If you are saying that much of the internet can get along without
mandatory oversight I would very much agree with you.  But I would then
suggest that those things that do not require mandatory oversight are
things that we ought not to include as subjects of "internet governance".

In other words, to me, the term "internet governance" ought to be
reserved for those internet techno things that really and truly require
one choice that binds everyone.

It is rather hard to come up with a list of technical matters on the net
that really do require a singular, worldwide, unified, mandatory policy.
  IP addresses and ASN's (autonomous system numbers, used in routing)
seem need such central policies.  DNS names, as I have described
elsewhere, do not.

In other words, I perceive internet governance as something that ought
to have a very small bailiwick.

What this suggests to me is that we each have a very different view of
internet governance.  I perceive it as being something of last resort,
that should be created only when there is no other alternative, when
arbitrary choices by private actors must not be permitted.  I sense that
you are considering governance in a broader way that isn't necessarily
coercive and admits of private choice that is contrary to the decision
of the governance body.

If we drop the qualifier "internet" from "internet governance" then, I
submit, we've entered a whole new ball game.  Once we start dealing with
matters that go beyond the technical necessities of the net, then we are
engaging in World Governance with a big 'W' and a big 'G'.  Much as I
think we want to improve the world, I'm not particularly optimistic
about the chances of success if we enter that arena.

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org