[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Jun 1 11:49:22 EDT 2007

I have much the same concern as you do about "consensus" - I do not see
it as a stable or viable approach.  It is a mechanism that is both too
subjective, open to manipulation by the one who measures consensus, and
can result with the losers feeling unfairly treated and resentful.

One of the reasons that internet governance has latched onto the idea of
"consensus" is that in the IETF it worked (well, it used to work when
working groups could fit around a single table, it is not working so
well now.)  But the IETF deals with topics that have the nice property
that when the power is applied they either work or they emit smoke.
(Really - I recently saw smoke come out of a VoIP phone due to a flaw in
power-over-ethernet specifications.)

But we are not dealing with the kinds of issues that the IETF is.  And
the IETF has the benefit of a degree of homogeneity - we (IETF) are
mainly a bunch of geeky engineers who like Monty Python.

What I'm suggesting is that the idea of making decisions by "consensus"
ought not to be extrapolated from the IETF onto internet governance
where the measure of a proposed solution is far more subjective and the
interests affected are much more diverse.

Can you imagine the kind of political instability that what could have
happened in the US had the 2000 or 2004 elections been measured by
"consensus" rather than counted votes?

		--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org