[governance] Muti-stakeholder Group structure (some ideas)

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Fri Jun 1 11:25:02 EDT 2007

To Bertrand and Robin:

Bertrand: Thanks for the very well articulated note on individuals and
"stakeholders".

My concern remains, however, that even though individuals may in our
context be recognized as "stakeholders" the use of that term easily
permits people to be forgotten in other contexts or be subordinated to
those corporate or aggregate bodies that claim to be "stakeholders" on
an economic basis.

The reason why I find the term "stakeholder" to be corrosive is that it
opens the door to Orwell's fearful sentence: "All animals are equal, but
some animals are more equal than others."

I very much agree with you that thinking and developing answers and
policies works best if all points of view are represented by people
(ultimately it is always a person who does the articulating or
representing) and that a synoptic view is more important at that stage
than universal representation.  At a later stage, when a choice is made
whether to adopt the answer or policy, then a broad based counting of
opinions is more important.

Nevertheless, those who are excluded will often resist or resent an
answer simply because they weren't part of its making.

To Robin: With regard to your note that mentioned the resistance of
China: I detected a hint of a crossover between issues.  I've been
pressing the position that of using people, not legal fictions or
artificial aggregations, ought to be the basic unit of interest and
benefit for internet governance.  What you and Mereyem have mentioned
tends to go towards the issue of human rights.  These are, of course
related but the coloration is a bit different.

I am not sure that China or other countries that resist externally
imposed definitions of "human rights" would not be so uncomfortable with
the proposition that when a "stakeholder" votes, that that vote be
weighed on the basis of the number of people who can be garnered to
support that vote.

To be more concrete, let's image a hypothetical body of internet
governance.  Imagine that it has various "stakeholders" but that when it
comes time to measure consensus or take votes that each stakeholder's
vote is measured by the number of people who sign that stakeholder's
vote.  Thus the IP industry vote would be measured by the number of
people they can get to back their point of view.  The same would hold
for other aggregates - the size of their vote is proportional to the
number of people who back their vote.

Would that kind of formulation less likely to trigger China's defensive
mechanisms?  I could imagine that, due to China's immense population,
that they actually might find such a formulation attractive.

	--karl--

     governance at lists.cpsr.org