SV: SV: [governance] IS THE DIGITAL DIVIDE A PHANTOM?

Kicki Nordström kicki.nordstrom at srfriks.org
Tue Jul 31 10:19:18 EDT 2007

Dear Catherine and all,

Thanks Catherine for your inputs! In the field of blindness we all are linked together and  share information which we know about and also if we can afford it, examine. WBU have also a working group on technology for enhancement of information to our constituencies. WE know that much research are made by many companies, but they never ask us as user of the technology. This is very sad as it is us who know the actual problems. It is as always, others are experts on us!

There are no different need of computer designs (hardware) for blind persons to sighted persons (if not concentrating on Braille),  What is the real problem is the cost, the little cooperation between program makers and lack of interest from the public to make sure things are pushed in the right direction. WE need the help from the rest of the Civil Society. But worse and the biggest barrier, is the commercial part of the programming industry, that makes special programs extremely expensive and thereby also excluding many who could benefit from them.

All the best and thanks for the interests!
Kicki

Kicki Nordström
Synskadades Riksförbund (SRF)
World Blind Union (WBU)