SV: SV: [governance] IS THE DIGITAL DIVIDE A PHANTOM?

Kicki Nordström kicki.nordstrom at srfriks.org
Tue Jul 31 07:01:45 EDT 2007

Dear Norbert,

I think you have a very valid point in the following:
"By the way, has it been tried to use screen reader software for the purpose of making information society technologies more accessible to illiterate/not-yet-literate people? "

I have suggested this many times, but no one seems to understand how important screen reading programs can be for other groups outside the context of blind and visually impaired persons.

We also know that at least 10% (in industrial countries there statistics is available),  have Dyslexia  and for those a screen reading program is very helpful as well. There are many more than blind persons who should benefit from a screen reading program.

But I think we are discussing two things here, the access to computers and electricity in developing countries and in particular in rural areas. This  does not contradict to the need of screen reading programs for those of need. I would not like to see a society that gives priorities to non-disabled persons first and then provide those with special needs later, with what is available. If we are talking of closing the ICT divide, we must embrace all persons! The first is to make sure people have access to a computer, and electricity. Then we must ensure that programs used are accessible for all people, and for this reason programs must be compatible and accessible.

Yours
Kicki

Kicki Nordström
Synskadades Riksförbund (SRF)