[governance] IS THE DIGITAL DIVIDE A PHANTOM?

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Mon Jul 30 15:57:43 EDT 2007

McTim wrote:

> We clearly have differing definitions of "access"   For me, It's
> accesible if I can ping the host (Do I have acccess to the Internet?).
>  For you it's reading a page?  Try Google's "translate this" feature.

I believe in starting small and learning before trying to solve all
problems.  Thus for purposes of these intial stages of internet
governance I have on several occassions defined the internet in the
following terms:

    The internet is the open system that carries IP packets from source
IP addresses to destination IP addresses.

Governance of that the thing that reifies that limited definition is
already a complex topic that has, so far, defied solution.

Going beyond that and including governance of layered-on, optional
applications (such as HTML carried in HTTP, i.e. "the web") seems, to my
mind, to be biting off too much and reduces the chances of success.

		--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org