[governance] IS THE DIGITAL DIVIDE A PHANTOM?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 22:46:05 EDT 2007

Hi miton,

On 7/28/07, Milton L Mueller <mueller at syr.edu> wrote:

> > >This fellow was wondering why it costs more to
> > >obtain a .gh (Ghana) domain name than to get a .com or a .co.uk?
>
> > economy of scale
>
> ...and competition

cetainly true that competition has driven prices down for gTLD's.  For
many ccTLDs, competition is a very dirty word.

> >IMO domains names have nowt to do with access.
>
> Try reading or using a domain name that's coded in Chinese.
> See how accessible it is.

We clearly have differing definitions of "access"   For me, It's
accesible if I can ping the host (Do I have acccess to the Internet?).
 For you it's reading a page?  Try Google's "translate this" feature.

--
Cheers,

McTim
$ whois -h whois.afrinic.net mctim