SV: [governance] IS THE DIGITAL DIVIDE A PHANTOM?

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sat Jul 28 07:16:06 EDT 2007

Kicki Nordstrom <kicki.nordstrom at srfriks.org> wrote:

> World Blind Union has tried to negotiate with the producer of screen
> reading programs, that we from industrial could pay more to reduce
> the price for customer in developing countries. But this was not
> possible due to business tradition.

I think this calls for the development of a good screen reader program
as Free Software.  This of course needs to be funded somehow, but as
soon as this has been achieved, all visually disabled people
everywhere will be able to benefit from this, and will be able to
always use the newest version without big extra costs, without being
contrained by the "business traditions" of a profit-oriented company.

Greetings,
Norbert.

--
Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch>                    http://Norbert.ch