[governance] Effects of lack of electricity on the digital divide

kwasi boakye-akyeampong kboakye1 at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Jul 22 12:27:03 EDT 2007

Folks,
I share with you below an interesting piece i just read:
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=127357
Can we effectively close the digital gap when most parts of the developing world are still struggling with electricity to power ICT systems? Please follow the link above and read some of the comments from readers.

Kwasi
EFFECT OF ELECTRICITY CRISIS ON INFORMATION AND TELECOMMUNICATION SYSTEMS IN GHANA  The modern global community is linked by the Internet and with the rapid proliferation of mobile terminals and other developments, the world is now experiencing the emergence of a ubiquitous information society in which anyone can access information from anywhere at any time. Ironically, the current electricity crisis has denied Ghanaians the full benefit of ICT enabling opportunities. The country’s information and telecommunication systems have been paralyzed by poor distribution of power supply, a critical requirement for the successful operation of ICT systems.  ICT involves the storing, processing, and distribution of information by radio, television, telephone, and computers. It plays vital role in all sectors of the economy. It enhances education; assists in health delivery systems; increases productivity; promote efficiency, and facilitates cost-savings. There are many advantages that
 accrue from the use of ICT, particularly the saving of time. It helps in communicating information with one another irrespective of geographical barriers which assists people to work effectively. However, without electricity ICT systems cannot function and these essential benefits will be an illusion.

 Without effective communication businesses, hospitals, educational and research institutions, and other corporate bodies cannot operate effectively and efficiently. Therefore, the provision of unregulated electric supply is paramount to sustaining ICT systems and the socio-economic development of Ghana. Access to information and the ability to use information effectively is vital to the development of the Ghanaian society. It is sad to note that the country’s electricity crisis has forced some factories to either close down or cut production levels, several businesses continue to loose money, and there is now general inefficiency across the broad spectrum of different entities in the country. The economy is collapsing and it is about time our policy makers understood that without a reliable high quality supply of electricity, and a sustained communication and information systems, we cannot achieve appreciable economic growth as a nation. According to the European
 Commission, “the importance of ICTs lies less in the technology itself than in its ability to create greater access to information and communication in underserved populations. Many countries around the world have established organizations for the promotion of ICTs, because it is feared that unless less technologically advanced areas have a chance to catch up, the increasing technological advances in developed nations will only serve to exacerbate the already-existing economic gap between technological "have" and "have not" areas.” This noble objective of the European Commission is far from reality in the developing nations because of the poor conditions under which ICT systems are operated. Communications technologies are taken for granted in developing countries due to either lack of interest, awareness, and money to finance ICT systems.

 The solution to solving the electricity crisis and hence saving ICT systems in Ghana rests entirely with the government. Unfortunately, there seems to be no clear strategy to solving the problem. This is evidenced in the comical display by government actors who contradict one another on government’s strategy and time-frame in bringing the crisis to an end. For now, Ghanaians don’t know how the electricity crisis is going to be solved, and for how long power rationing will last. The only consolation the citizens have is assurances that “government is doing its best to solve the crisis.”

 Significantly, the energy crisis that has overwhelmed the nation is not an issue for political rhetoric. Neither can a solution be found in the corridors of political accusations and counter-accusations. It is a national problem that calls for general brainstorming from among experts irrespective of political ideology or leaning. Government should therefore open wide its doors to receive constructive inputs from people with required expertise in finding a lasting and quicker solution to the problem. Time is running out, the economy is freezing, industries are collapsing, communication has broken down, and darkness has engulfed the nation. The earlier we act, the more better we are as a nation.
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/NewsArchive/artikel.php?ID=127357

  “If I am not for myself, who will be for me? If I am not for others, what am I?    And if not now, when?” - Rabbi Hillal