[governance] IGF workshop proposal

Lee McKnight LMcKnigh at syr.edu
Fri Jul 20 10:59:36 EDT 2007

OK, I'll get on it, look for a report back to the list by Monday.

Lee

Prof. Lee W. McKnight
School of Information Studies
Syracuse University
+1-315-443-6891office
+1-315-278-4392 mobile

>>> "Parminder" <parminder at itforchange.net> 7/20/2007 12:59 AM >>>

I understand the sentiment expressed by Meryem

> Regarding co-sponsorship, I insist on the fact that it makes more
> sense to have IGC as single proposer, rather than only being able to
> gather a list of 2-3, non major and non representative of all
> stakeholders, co-sponsors. Otherwise, this would mean that this
> workshop is (and is meant) controversial, which is working against
> our objectives.

However, I wouldn't want to take the risk - there is going to be a lot
of
workshop proposals rejected this time around. And multi-stakeholder
principle is the only criteria which I have heard mentioned so far...(
though I agree it wont be easy to reject an IGC sponsored workshop.)

And when we propose to get others to co-sponsors, for instance through
Adam's offer to check with MAG, we do show our openness, and in the
process
itself, strengthen our claim.

So I will request Adam to check with MAG and separately with any
private
sector body, and Lee to try the governments he wanted to try. That will
be
useful. And Vittorio, you too, if you have anyone from the private
sector in
mind. We need to submit this information asap, preferably within the
next
2-3 days.

Thanks everyone

Parminder