[governance] Re: [WSIS CS-Plenary] ECOSOC reviewing WSIS follow up and implementation: CSTD, UNGIS, ALF, IGF, GAID

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu Jul 19 06:38:20 EDT 2007

> eg.. are we asking ECOSOC to ensure that the CSTD ensures MS
> principles are adhered to in any (and all) consultations related to
> wsis followup? the CSTD is the entry point for consultation no?
> ECOSOC only receives reports from CSTD no? (or maybe i've got it all
> wrong)

I understand that ECOSOC has political supervision over CSTD, and is also in
charge of all summits follow-ups, and the WSIS one would go through CSTD. So
it shd be ok to request ECOSOC to ensure so and so since this is being read
out at an ECOSOC substantive meeting.

> but you know, i'm not sure i would include text about holding
> consultations at the IGF specifically.. strategically, i think it's
> not the best move.. i would prefer to have *formal* consultations
> about enhanced cooperation as part of the wsis followup process, and
> therefore, during may each year..  but if you link these two together
> right now, i am sure it will be resisted.. is that what we want? As a
> compromise, you could use the IGF as one of several opportunities for
> consulTations..

Sure, the idea is to reach out where CS interested in IG issues congregates
and not hold consultations on one odd day at New York which can only get
little CS participation, which will be quite skewed as well. So, yes, it shd
be at Info soc week and at IGF.

> and - is this statement going to be read, or written and submitted to
> ECOSOC? i imagine a bit of both? ie, an intervention from the floor,
> and a written statement?  and, what is the relationship between
> ECOSOC and CSTD - i ask as i want to be clear on who has the power to
> ask what of whom..

Philippe can answer best the issue of how the statement will be used. I have
stated above my understanding of the relationship between ECOSOC and CSTD.

Parminder
Parminder Jeet Singh
IT for Change, Bangalore
Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890