[governance] IGF workshop proposal

Parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed Jul 18 12:44:54 EDT 2007

We are not making much progress with submitting any additional stuff to IGF
secretariat that could bolster the case of IGF's workshop on 'Fulfilling the
mandate on the IGF'.

I was trying to get the Indian government on, but the person-incharge, the
Indian government MAG member, has been transferred to a very different
position, and at present there is no one to talk to for co-sponsorship/
partnership.

So, if anyone has possible co-sponsors from business, technical community,
or governments, pl come forward. Else, we will let the workshop proposal be
judged on its present merits, and sponsorship of IGC alone, which is
considerable group of civil society members and organizations.  This is not
a very good thing to do, but members have to volunteer to do the work of
getting co-sponsorship and partnership if we are to do any better.

Any additional information has to be submitted in the next 4-5 days because
apparently the last week will be spent in taking the decision of choosing
the 30 workshops from the 60 proposals that are with the secretariat.

If no further co-sponsorships come in, we will just report to the
secretariat that the we will have one speaker each from a developed and a
developing country government, one for the technical community, one from
private sector, and a couple of CS and academic sector speakers. And that
the IGC has strong connections with all these groups, and with key members
in these groups with expertise in IG areas, and we will select the speakers
through an internal process of consultations.

Parminder

Parminder Jeet Singh

IT for Change, Bangalore

Tel: (+91-80) 2665 4134, 2653 6890