[governance] the Apple iPhone rort

Vittorio Bertola vb at bertola.eu
Thu Jul 12 07:45:31 EDT 2007

David Goldstein ha scritto:
> To have an iPhone one must agree to a contract with AT&T, previously
> described as one of the worst mobile phone service providers in the
> US. So if you want an iPhone, and you are already contracted to
> another company, you have to terminate that contract with the related
> fees that involves.

This is extremely common in the mobile phone market, especially in
Europe - operators give you phones almost for free, as long as you tie
yourself in either with a contract that you can't terminate for a
certain number of years, or by accepting that the phone is sim-locked,
i.e. doesn't work with other operators. There have also been several
cases of models that were specific to single operators, just like the
iPhone. Then, of course, there is a blossoming black market of repair
shops that "free" your phone, with consequent legal battles.

 From one point of view, it's just a bargain between consumers and
operators - the (wholesale) price of your phone is covered by the
operator as a marketing cost to acquire you as customer. What I don't
understand, however, is why Apple decided to go this way - the answer is
"a lot of money from AT&T", I guess, but still it's like shooting
themselves in the foot by losing a good amount of possible customers
right when they have to enter the market - unless they already know that
the phone is going to be hacked quickly, or won't make it particularly
difficult.

In any case, the real point is about noticing how different traditional
telco networks are from the Internet - they are all about centralized
control and "herding customers". We should pose extreme care in ensuring
that the network remains neutral, otherwise we will start to have Apple
laptops that only work with certain ISPs or show certain websites. So,
getting this kind of principles well recognized and well formalized is
IMHO a key task for the mid term... (yes, this also explains my interest
in the "Internet bill of rights" idea).
--
vb.                   Vittorio Bertola - vb [a] bertola.eu   <--------
-------->  finally with a new website at http://bertola.eu/  <--------